Sunday, March 15, 2009

Punctual and Poised

My job at Ulta has been going fairly well. I don't have many complaints, except for one person, who is one of the managers that work there. Her name is Lesley.

I work morning shifts, so being there at 6am, or 7am, isn't odd. My shifts are pretty short, too, and I only work about 12 hours a week. I try very hard to be there at least ten minutes early, regardless of the fact that whenever Lesley opens, she is always 20 minutes late. 10 after means she's on time, but she is always always always at least 20 minutes late. When I first started working, I got chastised for clocking in 25 minutes late for over a month. When I explained that I was not that late (except once, because I ran out of gas), it was just that I couldn't get into the building to be here on time, they hired a new morning manager and Lesley no longer opens the store.

Lesley is also one of the rudest people I've ever met. She never says 'please', 'thank you', or 'you're welcome'. When you do something wrong, she talks to you like you're a dumbass and doesn't provide any constructive criticism. She just threatens to write you up. For example, the brochure they give us says that before we clock in, we're allowed to put on some of the prestige makeup as a sales tactic. One day I didn't have any eyeliner so I spent maybe 45 seconds throwing some on and then moving to go clock in. Lesley yelled at me and said that was inappropriate and if she caught me in the prestige section again, she'd write me up.

Lesley makes me not want to show up to work. She makes me not want to try hard, and she makes me feel like no matter how well I do, it goes unnoticed and under appreciated. That's just how I tick. I don't look forward to going to work and seeing Lesley there, and I avoid her as much as possible.

Anyway, my Friday shift got cut last week. Usually every Saturday I call in and ask when I work next because they don't post the new schedule until Saturday evening, and I don't work evenings or Saturdays a majority of the time. I think that is fucked up - I should know when I work next without having to call in. When they change the schedule, they also don't call to let you know, they just assume you will somehow magically see the schedule deep in your mind's eye and be able to see that you don't actually work 10 to 4, you work 12 to 4, but since nothing like that happens, you show up at 10am anyway.

Yesterday evening I called the store twice. Once at 8, again at 9. I usually call in the evenings because it's not as busy. And because Lesley is never there in the evenings. The first time I was told to call back in a few minutes because they were busy. Then I called at 9, and no one picked up. I didn't get the name of the person who told me to call back at nine. I can't even keep most of their names straight :(. Anyway, I text messaged "my" manager, LaToya, and never got a text message back. When I called her, I got sent straight to her voicemail. I didn't think to call Laure (the GM) and I probably should have, because she called me at 6am and left a voicemail saying, "You were supposed to be here at 6. *Click*". She did not sound happy.

Last night was also the night Patrick decided to get drunk off his ass with one of his friends, so I carted them around until about 2am when I called it quits. I went to bed around 3.

Right now, I don't know what to do. I applied for a job at Justice, a Limited Too store for tween girls, and I've had two interviews and they are setting me up for another (the girl will call me on Monday), and I'd be working 20-30 hours a week. The environment there is more laid back, the girls are not bitches, and I already know someone who works there (who previously worked at Ulta and quit because of how assholeish they were to her). But getting the job right now is not guaranteed. I'm not sure how to answer questions like, "Why do you want this job?" because I have no love for Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers, and I just need the money.

I also don't want to walk out on Ulta, but the scheduling and Lesley really makes me want to call it quits.

4 comments:

Indantatia said...

Ha. I just got a job at justice.

Simon Butler said...

Only because North Carolina had a vacancy for a chief executioner following their decision to introduce beheading.

LeftCoastLobstah said...

Funny, I worked with a Leslie once and she was a bitch on wheels. Nobody liked her but pretended to like her because you didn't want to get on her bad side. If you were attractive, female, and younger than her, you were automatically on her bad side. Hence, she hated me from the moment I was hired.
Have you tried a temp agency? You can get higher paying jobs and better overall work experience in case you ever want to do something other than retail. I highly recommend it to anyone who is 19-25, hasn't graduated college but is smart enough to pick up any job really quickly.

lovingdeparture said...

I'm kind of late in the commenting game, but I hope everything worked out with Justice and/or you were able to get an enjoyable job.

I don't think I've ever liked a Leslie either.