Sunday, March 7, 2010

"Time to Shutdown."

My inner monologue tells me that when I don't want to deal with something. After the thought processes everything else is tuned out. Sometimes I can feel my eyes glaze over and my face go slightly slack, as if I were beginning to watch a very boring movie. Yet even as I look at my aggressor, the cause of all my problems, they continue to talk. Don't they see the disinterest in my eyes? The unresponsive features?

Shut up already!

1 comment:

Simon Butler said...

With me, the problem is the reverse. I talk too much, and fail to notice the tell-tale signs of boredom and listlessness in my audience. Perhaps the most beautiful illustration of this was when I was giving a mate a lift home from the pub once: I had been talking to him for at least a quarter of an hour before I noticed he’d fallen asleep. I generously drove him to his door before waking him: one should learn to forgive and forget.

I recommend that you do something similar: if falling asleep is not feasible, at least feign unconsciousness, or even death. Making gasping or choking noises and allowing your limbs to twitch spasmodically may also work, depending on whom you’re talking to, and whether they have any knowledge of medical matters.