Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hordes of Parasites

Well, I will update you since you all care so much. I've been working as a manager at Justice, a tween store. I have been extending my wardrobe, which was in desperate need of it. I got plans to go to Spokane in August. I just celebrated my one year anniversary with Patrick, and he bought me a very expensive Pandora bracelet and lots of charms to go on it.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

And now the gory details! I have been reading Twilight. Yes. Me. Reading Twilight.

Why do I read it?

Because a girl at work, B.Marv, told me that if I was going to make fun of Twilight I should at least read the entire book. So I said ok.

It is quite possibly the worst piece of shit I have ever read. I am usually lucky in the books I choose to spend my time reading, as every book I've read thus far in my life has left me with a lasting impression of some sort, something that is mine, something that I think of occasionally and feel happy or nostalgic. I think, as far as books go, Twilight aside, the worst books I've read were The Grapes of Wrath and the Scarlet Letter and a few others that I was forced to read in school. Now, these books aren't worthless pieces of trash that aren't worth the pages they're printed on. They were just dry and not really my taste. Books that still left an impression with whatever I read, but aren't ones I'd ever pick up again.

Now one might ask, why does Twilight suck? Surely it can't. They made a movie of it. It's the topic of every book discussion of tween and teen girls.

Well, if you like books with no character development, no plot, and essentially some of the worst writing you'd ever come across, then it's a good book for you. I, however, like to read books with more substance than, "Oh my god you're so pretty and I'm so clumsy and plain", etc. Because that's what it is. On every page. It never stops.

I told this to B.Marv and she said, "You have to read the other books, she explains it then." I was in total disbelief. If the author can't get to a plot or character development in 500 pages, she is never going to get there. I am not reading the other books. I've fallen too far reading just the first.

Don't read it. Even if someone tells you to. It's worthless and i am tired of its face.

Non-Twilight related, Patrick built a new computer that has a huge monitor. He also bought Left4Dead. I am addicted to L4D. I can't help it. I log in and just play constantly. For hours. For days.

It's embarrassing. But so fun. You all should play it. It's terrible fun.

So. I think that's it for now. I'm on the last few chapters of Twilight. I'll finish it in my OCD way but I will need to prematurely re-re-re-re-re-read my Pullman trilogy to wash the romantic gunk out of my head. Ew.

5 comments:

Simon Butler said...

Since my brother is a teacher at a girls’ school he’s already commented on this phenomenon to me, in almost as scathing terms as Dan Brown’s writing ability and the poor plot structure of The Da Vinci Code, which he warned me never to read.

You did the right thing in reading the first Twilight book though – it reflects badly on people who criticise them without having read them. It’s true that you can judge something on a synopsis and descriptions from friends, but if you’ve read it then it does put you on that essential moral high ground required for acerbic critics.

The only way I got to hear of the series was through my interest in mythology. A Google search had taken me to Yahoo! Answers, where I was amazed by the vast numbers of questions about werewolves, obviously from quite young girls, not just showing profound ignorance but also posting questions such as “How do I become a vampire?” (no, I’m not joking).

TigersandTrees said...

Yeah, have you heard about the Twilight Cult or anything like that? They are people who hound the Internet for Twilight Haters and threaten to go to their houses and kill them by sucking their blood bcuz vampires r real!!11.

And I'm not joking either.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds hot.

Simon Butler said...

Ha. No, I hadn’t, but I can believe it.

What makes all this kind of thing painful for me is that until around the 1980s there were very few vampire novels. Bram Stoker’s Dracula and Carmilla, by Sheridan Le Fanu, both excellent Victorian Gothic melodramas, were still almost the only well known ones: there were rather more short stories in horror anthologies, but it couldn’t be called a genre. Then along came books like The Empire of Fear and A Taste of Blood Wine, and things went exponential after that. Now you can hardly move for them. That’s why I was a bit taken aback when you remarked, several years ago, that you’d write about almost anything but vampires – you obviously (and understandably) regarded it as a very hackneyed subject, whereas it would have been pretty innovative to do so when I was your age.

The shame is that there are some very good ones around, as it makes good material for horror stories, as your piece above shows… but they are rather few and far between.


And careful, Brian. Don’t provoke her – unless you want to wake up with a stake through your heart.

Mitul said...

Scarlet Letter was definitely a bore. Never read Grapes of Wrath, but I've heard that it was a drag as well, though I liked Of Mice and Men. The problem with stories like Twilight is that they will continue to be produced, so I tend to cope by turning a blind eye and pretending that such things just don't exist. Saves me much anguish.

And yes, Left 4 Dead is a very well designed game. Total insanity on expert. It's a lot of fun playing with friends, more so than a lot of other games.