tfl;dfr version: Little girl pretending to be an adult threw a tantrum when I asked her if she wanted to work a shift on Saturday. Can't take the responsibility to find out what her schedule is, and skips out on basically every shift she's had except, like, 3.
---
Oh yeah, we hired this 17 year old to work for us. Since she was 17 and in school she couldn't work more than 4 hours. So she would work shifts like 5-8. 3-6 on Sundays. She turned 18 like, the Saturday after she started working - she told me, but didn't tell the people doing the schedule, so she was scheduled to work 12-8 that day.
Going back a bit, Kevin (a store manager coming to help our store), had asked her to come in an hour early for training and when they got off the phone he went, "She's not going to last long, she gave me some big attitude for asking her to come in early."
Well, since I am around the most/am the most competent worker they have at the moment they put it on my shoulders to train her. I kept telling her I was angry that I was having to do everything because Dionne didn't work enough and Amber was lazy. And generally I was stressed because of my upcoming trip and Christmas and family problems. Well, she went running to Dionne that I called her lazy. Dionne and I straightened it out but it still pissed me off.
So I'm training Paige, trying to get her caught up so she can do stuff. She works 1 full 3 hour shift with me and then I ask her to come in at 3 on Sunday and work a 3 hour shift. She calls and says she wants to come in at 4. I go, "Uh, okay." She gets there at 4, bitches that her phone sucks and she wants an iPhone, but then says, "Can I go early? I feel terrible." at 4:45. I tell her to go because I don't want to get sick/deal with her crap. She smells heavily of black and whites, and made a showing to light up as soon as she walked out the door. The next time she worked with me she asked me for a lighter and I said, "I don't smoke, it ruins my taste buds."
Well, she comes in on Wednesday and I tell her she's working 5-8 on Thursday, 12-8 on Saturday, then she'll have to call to get next week's schedule Saturday night. She has a freak out, I tell her to call Ann, Ann says she will have other birthdays and she can still go out after 8. Paige is not happy. Paige and Dionne both gang up on me to take the shift, but I say no, because I've worked every Friday and Saturday since I started working (2 months!!). On top of working 1-8 nearly every single day. Paige gets all pissy with me and Dionne is just like, "Why not, Emily?" and doesn't get that I just want a fucking weekend off after busting my ass. I told them straight up I was being selfish and they'd have to work something else out - especially since because I was already coming in to work on Friday (my day off!!).
Paige gets out of the 12-8 shift because our new store manager Glenn decides to work it for her.
She fails to call on Saturday to find out when she is working. So I get a call on Sunday saying I have to come in to cover Paige's 3-6 shift because she was supposedly on her way to Muskogee. I say okay, it's only 3 hours, no big deal. Paige calls me later that night and says, "I'll work 5-8 for you on Monday, I need to make up my hours" and I replied "Oh, that'd be great, yeah!" Well, the next day, it's about 3, 3:30, she runs into the place wearing jeans and a tshirt and runs to the back. I'm with a customer but I tell them I'll be right back and Paige is right at the door and I stop her. "What did you get?"
"Uh..." she holds up a black thing. "My charger."
"Oh okay. Well, I'll see you at five o-clock okay?"
"Oh..." she shuffles and starts going out the door, "Uh, I forgot, we had a basketball game."
I blink at her. "So you're not coming in at 5?"
"I didn't know we had a basketball game tonight."
"Uh... okay then." I watch her leave and am feeling kinda frowny, but I need the hours anyway, so whatever. And there's tons of work to be done. This is for the best.
Paige doesn't work again until Wednesday - she has had pretty much 8 days or something stupid like that off because she keeps weaseling out of her schedule and making other people (aka me) cover for her. She works with me on Wednesday and I give her some pretty simple instructions.
"I'm going to run the remainder of the shoes. I need you to replenish accessories, fill in the end caps, and just straighten shoes." She's here for all of her 3 hours and I let her know that I need her there to do those things for me. I'm exhausted, excited that I am going to be getting a day off soon, and just want this shit to be done with.
Well, she decides her job is also play time and whips out her phone and starts chatting away to some guy. I ignore it - I've already told her if someone calls corporate on her for chatting on her cell phone, I wasn't going to make up a story to our district manager, and she was going to get in trouble. If she wants to ignore my advice, then fine.
She finishes with the accessories and ignores the end caps completely. Her idea of straightening shoes was pathetic. She decides to clean the store so she can sneak into corners and talk on her phone. As 8pm rolls around, just as I finish my work, I go around and straighten all the shoes she ignored. 8 comes and she says, "Can I lock the door?"
"Yep."
"Aren't you going to count the money?"
"Nope, not until the store looks decent."
She throws a fit and goes "ugh, what?" and I shrug. We still got out there at like, 8:20. Straightening shoes doesn't take much effort but that small amount of effort helps.
So the next day I look at the schedule - it would be good for her to come in at 4 and work till 8 with the store managers coming to shift the store and put everything in order. She can learn to run shoes and other basic stuff. Plus she wants to make up hours for that iphone of hers anyway. I call her and I ask, "Hey Paige, would you be available to work Friday orSaturday 4 to 8?"
She gets defensive. "Why would I do that?"
"Trenda is going to be here and she can help train you."
"Why would she train me? You're training me, you can't just change the schedule like that." Click.
"Uh... hello?"
I call her a few minutes later and ask, "Can you or can't you work the 4 to 8 on Saturday? You can work it on Friday if that's better too."
She starts throwing her stupid little tantrum about how I'm not the store manager and she only listened to me because she didn't know what she was doing (which she still doesn't... she's worked a total of 13 hours over three weeks). She's not being rational - she's screaming at me. She is saying that I can't just "change the schedule" and I got pretty mad and said "you change the schedule to whatever suits you, so don't tell me I can't ask you to come in for an extra shift. I had to cover for you on Sunday, and you got covered on Saturday."
"WELL SATURDAY WAS MY BIRTHDAY AND I SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SCHEDULED THEN AND THEY DIDN'T TELL ME I WAS WORKING SUNDAY NO ONE TOLD ME I WAS WORKING ON SUNDAY!!!" (let me remind that she was 'on her way' to muskogee on Sunday - she could have easily just come back and work the shift since she was called at noon at the latest).
"That's because we don't babysit you Paige, it's your initiative to call and ask what your schedule is if it's not posted."
She got to scream some more and then I took a deep breath and I apologized to her. "I'm sorry if I sounded demanding, but I was just wondering if you wanted to work that shift." She hangs up on me without a word.
She calls back and asks for the DM's number and hangs up on me without a thank you or a goodbye. Apparently she hasn't been getting her paychecks - but what fucking paychecks? She hasn't been working!
Anyway I close with her twice next week. I've already apologized and I didn't do anything wrong - I presented the opportunity for more hours and she could have just said no, but she decided to be a brat. Ann told me to pick and choose my battles and while I would love to punch her in the face and tell her to learn some fucking manners, I think it'd be best if I just kept my mouth shut.
Shoulda listened to Kevin, he was so right. She has a fucking major attitude problem.
Anticipation
15 years ago

3 comments:
You should try selling them instead of shoes. The white slave trade can be very profitable.
It sounds like everyone you've ever worked with is a bitch.
"Aren't you going to count the money?"
"Nope, not until the store looks decent."
HAH! That was awesome. Do more of that.
Post a Comment