Friday, June 5, 2009

The Way We Get By

I would love to play WoW, for reasons unknown. I have been thinking about it, and from the way Patrick has reminisced about his WoW days at me, it sounds like it's not a handful of faggots running the game, but an entire company whose sole desire is to give what the consumer wants. Not be like Estarra and do whatever the fuck Estarra wants to do for Creativity's sake, and ignore half or all of the players wishes.

I want to play a game that I can't "win" at, one which, when I log in, will have different things to do all the time, without being overwhelming. No more fucking drama disguised as 'politics'. That's one of the lure's of IRE that I did love so much - it was entertainment that never ended. And in the right crowd, your character had a voice. I had to scramble my password for my old Lusternian character, simply because the urge to log in was too great and I couldn't trust myself. Still, I want to play an IRE game. I think if I pay monthly I will play to the best of my abilities and not try and fuck myself over. Plus the pay-to-play sounds cheaper in the long run, considering I could easily dump more than 400 dollars into an IRE game just to get a few perks. 360 a year doesn't sound so bad.

Has anyone here played WoW? Do you have other suggestions? I am listening.

1 comment:

Mitul said...

I played WoW for a couple years. I actually had a job writing WoW articles. It was pretty good pay, actually. And there were good times. But the game is based on a reward system that I believe to be fundamentally unethical. It's not a game; it's a product, and I look back on my time playing it with a great deal of regret. It was really a miserable experience. You're better off playing games that are actually enriching experiences, like say Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Darwinia, or Beyond Good and Evil to name a few.

I realize you're looking for an online game that isn't about winning or completion, but I truly believe WoW is a game that depletes the player's soul. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "evil," but I'd certainly call it unethical. Seriously, I could write an entire paper on why not to play WoW. If you need more convincing, take a look at a site called WoW Detox