Sunday, November 8, 2009

Don't Egg Me

Elyse, the one who was dumb enough to get knocked up to some guy she'd only known for a couple months, has decided that she needs money and her job as a hostess sucks. So what is she going to do? She's going to donate one of her eggs.

I find this repulsive. I am not really sure why. I love Elyse, but she is not the brightest crayon in the box. You get paid loads of money if you donate an egg. But, it's also incredibly dangerous. She has a fucking toddler. She is putting her life at risk for money so she can buy a house, when she should be living with her parents, going to school, getting a career, and saving some fucking money.

I am just really upset. I talked to her on Facebook about how I felt, but she is positive that this is what she wants to do. Of course, my rage is being channeled here, I was a lot nicer about it when I was talking to her.

Yet again she is doing something without even thinking about it.

There are so many things can go wrong. Death, even. She has Lily. What is she going to do when she is in the hospital, and afterwards? I don't know. She is not thinking about this and it worries me. She has a 2 year old, she should be thinking about her. There are safer ways of making money. Like getting a career and managing a stable job. Like now, she misses work all the time and uses Lily as an excuse.

She does not even get good benefits from her job at the restaurant. What happens when her insurance cuts her off? She can't even hardly afford food on the table, much less surgery to fix anything that goes wrong.

it's just... UGH, I am so frustrated with people like her.

3 comments:

bard said...

It sounds like she is just taking the easy way out. She needs to learn to tough things out, because eventually she will be in a situation where there is no easy way out.

Also, has she considered the fact that the child that may be created with her egg will genetically be her own?

Simon Butler said...

I can understand your feelings. In the UK (or indeed in any EU country) it’s illegal for a woman to sell her eggs, and the small number of volunteer egg donors only get a token amount to cover expenses. This is because it’s regarded as unethical to have a situation where poorer, younger, and typically less educated women take health risks (which, as you say, can be quite severe) in order to benefit older, wealthier women.

While Elyse has presumably already made up her mind, you may want to try to get her to read more accounts such as this Daily Telegraph article, or any other similar articles you may find online.

Simon Butler said...

P.S. You may take some encouragement from this statistic from the US:

The egg donor is chosen from many volunteers and the latest figures show that less than 10% of women who apply do eventually end up actually donating their eggs.