Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ulta Lost

So I work at Ulta cosmetics now.

I am very, very basic with my makeup. I use L'Oreal, and I use them because... well, they explained how to use their makeup and Covergirl/Revlon didn't, really, so... anyway, I also found a match to my skin color (that being soft ivory), and I just don't see a need to change my makeup, not when it works so well.

Anyway, I apply foundation, powder to prevent shininess, blush, a very small amount of brown eyeliner (usually only on the bottom, lightly and smudged, only darkened more at the outer tip of the eye. I use it to enhance the blue of my eyes and try to make it as non-discernible as possible), and mascara on top and bottom lashes. I was lucky enough to be born with long eyelashes, so fake eyelashes need not apply.

Anyway that is about the extent of my makeup knowledge. I don't know how to use brushes or eyeshadow very effectively. As far as shampoo and conditioner goes, I just change it every month between the cheap ones and my hair does the flattering waves on its own.

Soo since I work here now... well... I need to learn about this stuff. Professional hair care and all that. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Indantatia said...

Smashbox is the best. Their eyeshadows are unbeatable. The Ulta line isn't actually that bad. I am sure they will train you on how to try to sell the Ulta brand more than the others. That's just how those stores do.

If anyone asks about mascara, tell them what you use. I have found that no matter how high a mascara is priced, it is usually just as good if not worse than Revlon or Covergirl or whoever else. Sell what you wear. They will appreciate that more than lies. I know I do. They will usually only ask you if they like the way your make-up looks, so just be honest.

Mandazoid said...

Yep, what she said. :o)

Unknown said...

I'd stay honest too. The problem with honesty is that there are so many amazing products.

As a make-up artist, I found that Too-Faced mascara was the best; it's not waterproof, but it won't start streaming if you cry or tear (or a model sloshes alcohol EVERYWHERE).

With eyeshadow, especially for beginners, less is more. Stick to neutrals like ivories, beiges or light browns - they look good on everyone. Black eyeliner should only be used on darker haired girls; the fairer ones should stick to dark brown unless they want that porn-drama look.

Best of luck!