Patrick wanted to rent Max Payne, and I was like, okay. His tastes in movies is pretty much the regular action-packed stuff guys typically like. Not that I can blame the guy. Movies like Fight Club, Snatch, Crank, The Bank Job, I like those movies too, they are funny, fun to watch, and have really cool fight scenes with really good actors. My tastes in movies are a little broader. Pretty much what it comes down to for me is if the acting is any good or not; if the acting is good, 95% chance I'll really enjoy the movie. I love good plots too, but I don't mind the same plot being regurgitated in different ways, so long as the acting, cinematography, and the way the story is told is good.
It peeves me a little that Patrick doesn't agree with me on what makes a movie good or not. He will take jabs at me for my movie (and music) tastes. I know he's joking, but I also know he's really not joking. He really likes AC/DC, I'm just a passing fan. He likes metal and all that and I'm more of a pop/rock kind of girl. Anyway, I'm totally cool with watching indie movies with bad camera work. I think indie movies have the most potential to say the best things. They can be the most honest pieces of work. Movies like Benjamin Button I adore: Patrick hated it because he could predict exactly what was going to happen. Of course you can predict it! Some movies are not psychological thrillers full of action and twists and turns, they are just movies telling a story.
However, Max Payne... well, it was a disappointment. To say the least. I didn't like it. I knew how the story was going to end (something which I never really care about), the acting was terrible (think Sin City put through a Cheesy Factory), the cinematography wasn't that great, the plot sucked (in my opinion), and I think this is a good example of a movie that should not have existed. The game was better. Leave it at that.
Some company spent millions of dollars to make this movie come to life. It's really not the director's fault. Whoever hired the actors should be shot, because the acting was horrendously bad. It wasn't even the "I'm trying to be bad" kind of acting, it was the, "I'm an actor trying to be bad" kind. If you know what I mean. It was really hard to get into the story. The score sucked too.
That's just my two cents. Yep. Patrick rented High Fidelity for me, too. I will see if I like it. I don't know if I will.
Anticipation
15 years ago

6 comments:
For the life of me, I cannot understand why Mark Wahlberg keeps getting movie rolls.
He plays the exact same character in every movie, and that exact same character is a lifeless, one-dimensional robot. He's either scowling or yelling. That's it.
I just don't get it.
Wahlberg isn't really THAT bad, but he needs very particular roles in order to be truly good.
Most of his bad buy or tough guy stuff is just plain lame.
I have to give Markie props for his movie Shooter, but I have to put it into Chia's words and say that the role was very particular and suited his acting abilities. Although he did do well in the Italian Job and the Departed (but in the Departed, again, a particular role with a fantastic plot, and most of the goodness of the movie is thanks to Leo).
I think he tries out the bad boy stuff because of his past, which I can respect. I mean, if a man really wants to write a book and dedicate it to his penis that takes some balls, but still.
He was not any good in this movie.
I just have a general rule, don't play video games based on a movie, and don't watch a movie based on a video game. For some reason they all tend to suck. People think these two formats are interchangeable, but it doesn't work.
What makes a good movie? I would say it’s how well the film is able to suspend your natural state of disbelief, and how will it allows you to forget that what you’re watching is fiction. It’s a measure of what degree you’re absorbed into it, and moved or amused by it.
Anything that jars you back into reality, and reminds you that it’s just a film – whether it be bad acting, shaky camera work or uneven editing – erodes some of its quality.
That’s why it doesn’t necessarily matter if the outcome is predictable: as long as the film is keeping you riveted enough to want to watch it right through, it’s a good one for you, and it doesn’t really matter if other people don’t find it so.
Well, other than if you’re watching it with someone who keep shifting around restlessly and making critical remarks anyway.
I hope you like High Fidelity. I watched it a few years ago on TV: it wasn’t to my taste, but it may be to yours.
What Brian said.
Also, Chi-Chi is right. Marky Mark can be good, like in The Departed, but it's rare
Post a Comment