When the Harry Potter books were first released, I hated them and everything to do with them. It wasn't until the 5th book was being ready to be released that I even sat down to read the first one. And after devouring all four books and yearning for the 5th, I absolutely hated JK Rowling.
I always thought her books were just a stroke of luck; I didn't think she was very talented. Creative, yes, but talented? Bollocks. But I'm willing to admit now that I was wrong, and that JK Rowling is a wonderful writer. I was comparing her to Pullman and his style of writing; not to her own.
The fact of the matter is, I had never read a 'bad' book before then, and assumed that it was the worst (yet simultaneously one of the most captivating), books I'd read. I read it all the way to the 7th and was never a die-hard fan for Harry Potter, but appreciated the creativity and magical world of Hogwarts nonetheless. I also got quite a kick out of Potter Puppet Pals.
There were, of course, assholes who banned the books because of its magics and such. But then there were people who wholly embraced it. I never knew any "die hard" fans for HP but I was friends with a girl whose entire family was fascinated by it all. They were people who owned all books and movies as well as the separate editor's edition copies. If there was anything cute to do with HP they had it. But this was their kind of family; they were into that card game Magic and WoW would probably be something they'd play. They were like it wtih LoTR too.
But back to the topic, I've been reading some interviews that JK Rowling has done and I've stumbled upon some articles about HP and Rowling and the books, and, I have to admit my first impressions were wrong. This woman wasn't suddenly lucky landing a publisher who'd bother to publish HP; she sent in a few chapters and they asked her to write more. This woman knew poverty and still went with her idea. Not to mention, she is incredibly intelligent, and humble, and she seems to me to be a wonderful person. I have to say I don't really like the way her idea of HP has 'sold out', but upon thinking of it, she knows it will keep her publishers happy and in business, and, well, who the hell can blame her? HP hasn't lost anything of its original, even with the movies. The three stars they chose to lead don't seem to be cocaine sniffing little jerks, they seem like they would be well-rounded people.
The books are well written and I can see why it'd be so successful. I don't think they should be added to any lists of classics, mind you, but certainly shouldn't be shunned from future generations. Her books are good. They have memorable, fantastic characters (who doesn't love Albus, really? And that NAME, Dumbledore - it's just great and fun), they have a plot (perhaps sometimes run dry and thick with drama, but what else can you expect of teenagers?), and most of all, they were researched and have an entire world to explore.
Of course I would compare this to Twilight, which really did just get lucky, published by a no-name publishing house, being on the market for three years before suddenly picking up, and only because of some extra attention to the young, female readers available. Twilight's going to fade once all the movies are done, and when those girls grow up they are going to wonder what the hell they saw in Edward or Bella, because those characters aren't growing or changing. They are going to be the same people from first book to last, all the while the people reading them are growing and changing every day. But I think HP will continue to be remembered and loved, simply because they are that good, and because they have the elements for that recipe.
I was very wrong to be jealous of JK Rowling for her success. She obviously cares very deeply for her fictional characters, and she also understands them, and for that, I really must admire her. Hopefully I will take this lesson throughout the rest of my life!
Anticipation
15 years ago

2 comments:
You're a better person than I am. I've been bitterly envious of her for many years. I don't think Harry Potter is all that original or well-crafted, yet I still like it. What really breaks me is that I know deep down I will never be able to create a world that other people could connect to so well, and on such a large scale. She humbles my grand ambitions.
Have you heard her Harvard commencement address? Worth checking out.
I wholly and completely agree. I read the whole Twilight series, but it was enjoyed in much the same way that one enjoys a cheap romance novel: you're well aware that it's the intellectual equivalent of a Twinkie, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it for the trashy fluff inside.
Twilight will fade, but the Harry Potter series will be unforgettable to millions the world over. I miss those characters sometimes, like they were real people or something. Long live Hogwarts!
Post a Comment