Saturday, August 1, 2009

Mom of the Year

My sister had a little get together at her house. We made around 75 things of jello shots, in a wide range of flavors. Her friend Michelle came over with her four year old son.

I'm, of course, not one to judge someone's parenting skills. But even after a year of handling Ariana I think I have somewhat of a good idea of what a good kid is and what a good kid isn't... This kid was the average size for a four year old, but he talked like he was maybe two. No speech impediment, just laziness. Slurred his words together, didn't pronounce anything clearly or correctly. It was annoying. This kid is four, he should be able to read with a little bit of pushing.

I won't even go into the naughty words he said. I'd heard Ariana say shit once or twice, usually for comedic affect, and it wasn't something to get in a tiff over. But this kid was ripping it, while flipping the finger! Holy crap! His mom didn't do anything except say a passing, "Stop" or "Don't".

He was also very bad at obeying. Continually defying his mom. I understand that kids push boundaries, but that's also where parents are meant to enact punishment for breaking those boundaries, which Michelle didn't do.

Had I been his mom I would've already spanked him and set him in a corner.

Then again, had I been his mom, I probably wouldn't have gone to a friend's house to drink with my kid in tow, even if I couldn't find a sitter. Patrick had given up nights out for Ariana, which is always admirable because it's better than dragging your kid into those kinds of situations. My mom did that to me a few times, taking me with her to go see her alcoholic friends. Of course I don't know if this had a good or bad affect on me, or if it even made a difference, but I didn't like being in those situations regardless.

I think Michelle is a nice person but she kind of gets on my nerves because it's all about her. She brought attention to her ring tone and of course got ragged on about it (because isn't that the point, to give attention to something that's being flashed?), then started making excuses like, "It's my ex-boyfriend's phone." WTF are you doing with your ex-boyfriends phone? And even then, you can still change the ring tone. It isn't hard!

Another thing she does is act like she could have any guy she wants. When she's not particularly attractive, has a kid with no dad, and can't have a stable relationship outside of the consistent one night stand. I'll leave the rest up to you.

She also needs everyone to know that she's bisexual. I'm pretty sure if I made a move on her she wouldn't be interested, despite me being an attractive girl she doesn't really know. More or less, it's all about her, which I'm not really into when making friends. If you're in a conversation for more than 20 minutes and the person can't utter a sentence without them as the subject, they're probably going to end up not being your friend in the near future.

Then again I am also extremely judgmental. It's one of my many flaws :D. But these observations have been made on several occasions, so... right. Despite how negatively I'm portraying her here, she has always been pretty nice if self absorbed. Though more of the shy nice and not the out-of-her-way-to-be-nice nice.

If you get the difference. Right.

4 comments:

Simon Butler said...

I think you mean ‘comedic effect’, not ‘comedic affect’; the former is the noun, the latter the verb, at least when used in this sense.

Just use ‘impact’ as everyone else does; it avoids having to remember the correct spelling, which is why it’s so commonly used in the media nowadays.

I’m not being judgmental. I’m being helpful. You’ll thank me one day.

Indantatia said...

Speaking of terrible parents ::looks at Simon's above post:: I kid I kid

I would have said something to her, but this is what old age is doing to me. I am realizing that not everyone has to like me and I don't have to like everyone. If someone brings a four year old to one of my drinking parties, they will be lucky if all they get away with is a comment about their parenting skills. I guess you ARE nicer than me, Emily. haha

Simon Butler said...

You’re right! I am ashamed of my neglect of my youngest daughter. But if she’d stayed with me she’d probably have ended up as an out-of-work alcoholic teenage mother though with a proper mastery of the English language.

I shall continue to disown her until she learns to use ‘to lie’ and ‘to lay’ correctly.

TigersandTrees said...

I shall go lie down this pen after I have lain down for a nap, otherwise this lying pen shall go through your lay eye.